Retail Cleaning Checklist To Keep Your Store Clean
Your store reveals many things to your customers. From the lighting and decor to the merchandise display, everything should fit in. Only then will the store’s atmosphere be inviting for the customers to step in. But all these do not matter if your store is not clean. The guests start to notice if your store does not undergo daily cleaning. It invites not only germs but also bad odours. It can potentially invite a health code violation too. The solution to all of the above is to keep your store clean. Here is a comprehensive retail cleaning checklist to help you:
Retail Store Cleaning Checklist Divide Into Zones/Areas
Retail cleaning is not easy and should be properly organized. It works best when the store is divided into various zones or areas. Here are some common areas that are applicable to every store. The entrance and the exits are the foremost among them. An important zone for business is the service counters, and the checkouts follow it. The restrooms, storerooms, and storage areas are another set of zones. Then there is the back office, breakroom, and stairways.
When you create your commercial cleaning checklist, start with common areas in any store. Then you can add other areas that are present in your store. By doing this, you divide the cleaning duties and assign them as per the area. Different types of stores require different tasks. For instance, pet store cleaning differs from auto dealership cleaning. So the cleaning checklist should reflect the cleaning needs as per the mess that is present.
1. Entrance And Exits
- Sweep and mop entrance floors daily to remove dirt and debris.
- Wipe down door handles, glass doors, and windows with a disinfectant solution.
- Ensure entrance mats are clean and free from dust and dirt.
- Empty and sanitize trash bins located near entrances and exits.
- Regularly inspect and replace burnt-out bulbs in entrance lighting fixtures.
2. Store Areas
- Vacuum or sweep the sales floor to eliminate dust and debris.
- Dust and wipe down shelves, product displays, and racks.
- Regularly check for cobwebs in corners and high areas.
- Sanitize high-touch surfaces such as handrails and elevator buttons.
- Arrange products neatly and ensure proper signage.
3. Checkout Counters
- Wipe down cash registers, keyboards, and card machines multiple times a day.
- Sanitize counter surfaces and ensure they are clean and presentable.
- Keep necessary cleaning supplies (sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer) accessible for staff.
- Empty and sanitize trash bins at checkout areas.
- Regularly clean customer touchscreens or devices used during transactions.
- Clean and sanitize toilets, sinks, faucets, and mirrors multiple times a day.
- Refill soap dispensers, paper towels, and toilet paper as needed.
- Ensure restroom trash bins have clean liners and are emptied regularly.
- Regularly inspect for plumbing issues and promptly address them.
- Post hygiene reminders and encourage customers to maintain cleanliness.
- Sweep and mop stairways to prevent dirt accumulation.
- Dust handrails and surfaces along staircases.
- Inspect for any safety hazards like loose steps or uneven surfaces.
- Ensure stairwell lighting is functional and replace any burnt-out bulbs promptly.
- Install proper signage to guide customers and staff on stairway etiquette.
- Organize and clean storage spaces regularly to prevent clutter.
- Clean break rooms and staff areas to ensure a comfortable work environment.
- Keep these areas tidy and accessible for efficient repairs.
- Regularly sweep and clean loading areas to ensure safety and cleanliness.
- Properly manage trash and recycling in the backhouse.
- Regularly clean and disinfect countertops, sinks, and food preparation surfaces.
- Wash dishes, utensils, and appliances after use.
- Empty and sanitize trash bins in the kitchen area frequently.
- Check refrigerator and pantry stock for expired or spoiled items.
Retail Cleaning Checklist In 2023
A detailed retail cleaning checklist that covers every nook and cranny of your store, ensuring it remains spotless and inviting.
Daily Retail Cleaning Checklist
- Sweep and mop the floors to remove any dirt and debris.
- Vacuum carpets and rugs to remove any dust or dirt.
- Dust or wipe down all surfaces, including shelves, display cases, and product stands.
- Sanitize high-touch surfaces, such as door handles, counters, and checkout stations.
- Empty trash and recycling bins.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, including toilets, sinks, and floors.
- Restock paper towels, toilet paper, and soap dispensers.
- Ensure that all products are neatly arranged and properly labelled.
Weekly Retail Cleaning Checklist
- Dust or wipe down all light fixtures, ceiling fans, and vents.
- Clean windows, mirrors, and any glass surfaces.
- Deep clean the floors and carpets.
- Clean and sanitize the break room or employee area, including tables, chairs, and appliances.
- Disinfect and sanitize shopping carts and baskets.
Monthly Retail Cleaning Checklist
- Deep clean and sanitize the restrooms, including the walls and partitions.
- Clean and sanitize the break room or employee area, including the refrigerator and microwave.
- Clean and organize the stock room, including shelves and storage bins.
- Inspect the fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and other safety equipment.
A checklist can only give you a list. The proper handling needs to be done by the staff. If you have a big store, have too much grime or inexperienced cleaning staff. Hire commercial cleaning services like Multi Cleaning. They tackle the cleaning job while you can focus on sales and customers.
Tips To Prepare The Best Retail Cleaning Checklist
- Declutter the space by viewing the shelves and racks through the shopper’s eyes.
- Display the merchandise properly so the customers don’t have to dig through.
- Dust builds quickly in a retail store. Lighting adds detail to it.
- Dusting regularly from top to bottom keeps the store clean.
- Floor cleaning and carpet cleaning are other important cleaning tasks. Customers notice sticky floors and carpet stains. So clean floors at least once a week.
- Wax laminates and clean steam carpets or other flooring at least once in 6 months.
- Clean mirrors and glass as there can be dust and fingerprints on the surfaces. Schedule a time every day to do this. A clean mirror and glass are the ultimate for store cleanliness.
- Inspect the restroom many times a day. Untidy restrooms are a huge turnoff.
- Sanitize all areas and refill supplies to keep them smelling fresh and clean.
By implementing this thorough retail cleaning checklist, you’re not only enhancing the visual appeal of your store but also creating an environment that customers and employees will appreciate. Our cleaning company in Sydney at Multi Cleaning provides a well-structured, cleaning checklist that guarantees every nook and cranny of your store receives the attention it deserves.